Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bravelle and Progesterone and Ovidrel, Oh My!

I've been spoiled on Clomid. Each month, I got my 20 pills from the pharmacy which wasn't that different than picking up my Claritin or some other medication. So even though I handed in six prescriptions for my injectibles this cycle, I have to admit I was slightly shocked when I picked them up yesterday. The sales girl handed me a shopping bag filled with drugs and supplies -- syringes, needles, alcohol swapping pads, Bravelle (the follicle stimulating hormone), Ovidrel (the shot that will trigger ovulation), Progesterone (to help support implantation of the egg after ovulation) and Prenatal Vitamins (I've been taking OTC PNV's for two years but the RE has me on prescription ones now). As the pharmacist walked me through everything, other customers were looking at me like I was a junkie. Who in the world needs that much medication along with needles and syringes? Apparently, infertiles do!



When I got home, I unpacked the 4 boxes of Bravelle, 4 boxes of Prometrium, the PNV's, 20 syringes and 20 needles and put the Ovidrel shot in the fridge. The first injection was still hours away but I was already nervous about the size of the needle. I was so relieved to see that it was a 27 1/2 gage which, as you can see from this photo, is only about an inch long.



And here's a look at the horse-pill sized PNV's I now take nightly:



The old adage goes that little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice and little boys are made of snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. If only it were that easy!

No comments: