Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Big Day for Gaby & Alaina!

Boy, are we long overdue for a day like this one!

Nonna and I went to visit Gabrielle this morning and she was doing really well. She's kept all of her feeds down, is back up to 18 cc's of milk and even though she missed a bunch of meals this week, she weighs 1140 grams (which is 2 pounds 8.21 ounces)! She spends almost her entire day sleeping on her belly (which is why she gains weight easily -- she's not doing anything to burn any calories!) but I managed to snap a few pictures of her with her pretty eyes open.



When we went to visit Alaina, her new nurse (who I love and it has nothing to do with the fact that we have the same name!) had given her a baby makeover. She'd had a bath and the tube that was going into her mouth had been moved to her nose so her chin was free of tape for the first time. Alaina looked like a new baby! She's been breathing so well that the nurse also decided to give her breaks from her CPAP. She spent an hour breathing on her own before we got there and since she didn't have any episodes, the nurse said it would be fine for me to hold her. I've been waiting for this day since we got the positive pregnancy test way back in April! First, Alaina got dressed in her first outfit:




Then I got to snuggle with my little munchkin for the first time.

And here's Alaina finding her fingers:


Alaina loved her first excursion out of the Isolette. She didn't cry once and breathed on her own without any issues. You would never know she had major surgery 10 days ago that we weren't sure she'd make it through.

So that was our exciting day! Alaina can't wait for her daddy to hold her and we're hoping we'll be able to cuddle Gabrielle very soon too.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm glad to see your girls are doing so well.

~Valerie
aka gymrat from the Nest

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad to see that the girls are doing well. If you ever need me, just page me on the preemie board. I'll be thinking of you guys.

Jennigator3 from the nest