Sunday, September 21, 2008

Gabrielle & Alaina are one week old!

Yesterday was the girls' one week birthday and they had a wonderful day. Alaina kept her milk down for the first time and we got to turn off her phototherapy lights for a bit and see her little eyes open. Gabrielle had her first taste of tummy time in her Isolette and spent the day sucking on her purple pacifier. It's so funny to see them developing their own personalities even at this young age. Alaina is the dramatic one, which shouldn't really surprise us considering she spent so much time kicking her sister in the head while they were in the womb. She cries whenever her diaper is dirty and once it's changed, immediately poops or pees and cries for it to be changed again. Meanwhile, Gaby is totally chill and happy to kick back and relax. Both girls are doing so well that it's hard to believe that just a week ago we had no idea whether they'd even make it.



I had my own milestone yesterday when I FINALLY saw some milk after pumping. I was starting to think that after 7 days and no results that I might not have any milk supply, but I woke up yesterday with some drops on my nipples. Sure enough, my first pump of the day was a good one and the rest weren't bad either. DH was so cute -- he was cheering my boobs on every time I pumped, and we were so excited to bring the milk with us to the NICU. Knowing that the girls were starting to get milk was hard when I wasn't producing any so I was so relieved that things seemed to finally be working. But by nighttime, my supply was waning again and so far today, I've had little to nothing. A good friend of mine is an LC and she said that even though the Medela PIS is the best pump you can buy, with preemies I should really be renting a hospital grade pump. So that's our plan for tomorrow -- trying to rent a Medela Symphony so that I can hopefully get my milk flowing again.

No comments: