Thursday, September 25, 2008

Diapers & Feedings & Temperatures, Oh My!

During our visits yesterday, DH and I got to change the girls' diapers, feed them and take their temperatures for the first time. I know, this probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but when your babies are in the NICU and you can't do "normal" parental tasks, even the littlest things are milestones.

The girls still have their central lines in so we can't pick them up, but when I went for my afternoon visit, Gaby's nurse decided that she was stable enough for me to help with her care (each of the girls has a different nurse and some let the parents be more hands on than others). First, I changed her tiny little diaper. The NICU has preemie sized diapers for the girls but even those are too big on them right now. We're going to take a few of them home with us for their baby books so when they're older, they'll see just how little they were. Next, I helped take her temperature, which was perfect, and then I got to give her her milk. She drank all of it and then proceeded to wail for the next five minutes until we put her back on her tummy with her pacifier which finally lulled her to sleep. When DH and I went to visit the girls later that evening, I took care of Gabrielle again and daddy got to feed Miss Alaina. It was a great day.

We also got really good reports on their feedings. Gabrielle is getting 5 cc's of milk a day and Alaina is getting 4. They've been tolerating the milk really well and if they continue to keep it down, they'll get 1 cc raises every 12 hours. That would mean they could have their PIC lines removed in the next week or two and we'll finally be able to hold our little ones! Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: